Mushroom Cheddar Quiche
6 to 8 servings
6 to 8 servings
- 1 frozen pie crust
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1 pound assorted mushrooms, quartered or sliced (include some shiitakes if you want great mushroom flavor)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch nutmeg
- 6 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Bottle of Dancing Queen Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the crust with aluminum foil or parchment paper, pushing into the bottom edge. Don't cut the foil or parchment paper too close to the crust, allow for enough room to easily lift it out.
- Fill it at least two-thirds with baking weights—dried beans (I keep a bag of pinto beans just to use for pie weights), rice, or aluminum pie weights.
- Bake initially for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool a few minutes. Carefully remove parchment paper and weights.
- Poke the bottom of the pie crust with the tines of a fork and return to oven and bake an additional 10 minutes or until lightly golden. (Fork holes are for any air to escape.) Let cool on a rack while you make the filling.
- Sauté shallots and mushrooms:
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the shallots for a minute, then add the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release all of their moisture, and get well browned, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together the cream, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Assemble the Quiche:
- Place the tart pan on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any run-off or leaks. Sprinkle half of the grated Cheddar over the bottom of the crust. Spread the mushrooms and shallots over the cheese in an even layer, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the mushrooms and cheese in the crust.
- Put the baking sheet with the tart pan in the oven and bake at 350°F until the center is just set, still a little wiggly, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove to a rack and let cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Top with Dancing Queen and enjoy!