- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- S & P, to taste
- 5 oz. of Merfs Dancing Queen hot sauce
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 oz.) of corn
- 1 small can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, including the liquid
- Smashed avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedge
- Baked potato slices for scooping (recipe below)
- Place all the ingredients into your slow-cooker, finishing with the vegetable broth and give it all a good stir.
- My slow cooker has a sauté option, so I opt to put in a little extra time and sauté the onion, peppers and garlic for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients to bring out a little more flavor. Either way, it’ll be delicious!
- After all the ingredients are in the pot, just cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours, or on high for 3 – 4 hours.
- Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper or seasonings as needed.
- Serve with garnish of choice
Optional: Baked Potato Slices
- russet potatoes
- olive oil
- black pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/200°C.
- Peel the potatoes. Wash them. Pat them dry. Slice them thinly and evenly with a knife or even better: with a mandoline slicer.
- Place the potato slices on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Add the olive oil, salt, and cracked pepper on top. Mix the potatoes around until they are all coated. Lay them flat on the parchment paper without overlapping each other.
- Bake the potato slices in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden. Love making these with this chili to scoop up perfectly portioned bites!